The University of Michigan Library is seeking an innovative, and talented user experience professional to join their User Experience (UX) Department. They are seeking someone with a passion for better understanding users, the ability to use creative problem solving skills to design engaging interfaces, and an investment in improving the library web experience.
This position is a full-time, two-year term appointment with the possibility of renewal.
The UX department focuses on:
- regular and mobile interface design
- usability testing
- user research
- web use statistics
The UX Specialist works in a collaborative team environment – working closely with the UX Department Manager and another UX Specialist as well as LIT and library-wide project stakeholders. Proportion of time spent on interface design and user research is adjustable. We strongly encourage candidates who have experience in only interface design or user research to apply.
User Research 40%
- Conducts ongoing discovery of user needs, both prior to and following interface deployment by analyzing user and institutional needs.
- Designs and conducts user research/usability studies using a variety of techniques (e.g. formal/informal user testing, online surveys, card sorting, interviews, personas & scenarios, use cases, focus groups, ethnographic research techniques).
- Conducts regular web use statistics and email feedback analysis to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Conducts web accessibility audits.
Interface Design 40%
- Creates wireframes, mock ups, and prototypes to define user interface functionality, navigation, information architecture, interaction, and overall visual design to help drive user interface development from concept to implementation.
- Creates HTML prototypes that approximate a functional interface for the purposes of evaluation and communication with the developers.
- Conducts ongoing research into the development of new interface capabilities, enhancements, and user-centered design trends.
- Creates complete interface designs and web-ready graphics.
Project Management & Communication 20%
- Helps to establish project priorities and discuss project goals with LIT managers, project stakeholders, developers, and library staff.
- Performs occasional project management duties including establishment of timelines, coordination of staff, scheduling, and project documentation.
- Participates, as needed, on library committees. May provide advice or assistance to other units within the University Library regarding user research or interface issues.
- Promotes importance of user-centered design within library and library community.
- ALA-accredited Masters Degree in Library or Information Science or an equivalent combination of a relevant advanced degree in Graphic Design, UxD, HCI, and significant professional experience in a related field.
- Knowledge and experience in areas of user research and usability methods, design, and analysis.
- Experience creating concept sketches, flow diagrams, wire frames, and mock-ups.
- Excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills. Ability to work independently and in a team environment. Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Experience creating complete interface designs and web-ready graphics.
- Experience designing and/or evaluating library systems (e.g., digital libraries, OPACs, library websites) or other complex, data-rich websites.
- Experience designing and/or evaluating mobile interfaces.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite software, interface design software (e.g., Omnigraffle, Visio), screen recording software (e.g., Camtasia, Morae, UserVue), assistive technology (e.g., JAWS).
- Familiarity with accessibility coding standards, validation tools, and evaluation techniques.
- Experience creating and editing web pages using HTML & CSS.
- Experience conducting log/web use statistics analysis.
- Knowledge or experience with search engine optimization (SEO) techniques.
For more information, and to apply, visit the online job posting.
- Senior User Experience Specialist
- User Experience Specialist (Cengage Learning, Farmington Hills)
- Optimizing the User Experience for Package Design